Translate Crochet Terminology

I’ve put together a handy guide to translate crochet terminology between U.K. and USA terms. Although I am from the UK, like many others I prefer US crochet terminology. Therefore I also write my patterns using US terminology. However this can be a little confusing at first but patterns can be easily translated just by learning a few simple changes. As you can see on the chart below, the stitches are exactly the same, they are just called by a different name. For example, a US single crochet is called a double crochet in the U.K. In other words it is exactly the same stitch, just known by a different name.

Gauge Tension
sl st – slip stitchss – slip stitch
sc – single crochet dc – double crochet
hdc – half double crochet htc – half treble crochet
dc – double crochet tr – treble crochet
tr – treble crochet dtr – double treble crochet
dtr – double treble crochet trtr – triple treble
sk – skip ms – miss
yo – yarn over Yoh – yarn over
translate crochet terminology

In conclusion the abbreviations shown in the chart above are the only ones which change between U.K. and USA terms. However if you are looking for any other crochet abbreviations you can find a full comprehensive list on the crafty yarn council website here.

You may also like...